Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Beginning a Blog

Where do you start a blog that's been 18 years in the making? That's my dilemma. Blogging wasn't around when I started my old house adventure in 1993, but that glorious invention, the internet, was becoming quite popular and there were at least message boards to post to. In fact, for several years I had a virtual OHSG (Old House Support Group) at the This Old House message board. I think about them every so often and wonder what ever happened to the regulars.

I'm not going to make any promises about how often I'll post, but then that would be assuming someone would be interested in following! Anyone with an old house (or any house for that matter) knows time is in short supply, so choosing to add another time consuming activity to my To Do List is causing me to question my sanity. Ok, I do question my sanity on a fairly regular basis...and when I had this house moved in the winter of 1994 a lot of other people questioned my sanity too. Well, all I can say is that sanity can be overrated.

I've been following several blogs for a while now and it's looks like fun...kind of like an updated version of my OHSG so here it goes.

How did I start this saga in the first place? Well, one Sunday after church, I sat down to read the local newspaper and there it was...



I turned to Jodie Michelle, the dog, and exclaimed, "It's my house! It's for sale!" How did I know it was my house? All I can say is that I just knew. I'd never even seen the inside even though I had passed this house almost everyday for my whole life. Only a couple of months before, it actually caught my eye. I noticed for the first time that it had a wrap-around porch (one of the most important items on my "must have" list). For a while I'd been looking for an old house to move and restore. Every "house for sale to be moved" I had looked at before was in such bad shape, or had been altered so badly, that bringing them back appeared to be beyond my abilities. Wait a minute...abilities? What abilities? My DIY career had up until this point consisted of refinishing a few pieces of furniture. Well, there's always that sanity issue. This house was deceptive. It belonged to the church next door and they were using it for Sunday School classes. It needed cosmetic changes, but it had been extremely well maintained. That would be BEFORE the housemovers with chainsaws appeared. More to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment